Search This Blog

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Grandma's Training Cycle Review

Well, the work is done.  I get to run easy again this week and let it all go on Saturday.  I thought I would take some time and review the numbers for this training cycle.


Average MPW - 88.1, which is about 7 miles higher than the Des Moines training cycle.  It included one week over 100, 5 weeks over 90, 10 single runs over 20 ( longest was 24) and I had 13 days when I went over 20 miles total.

Speed - most of the long runs were in the 8:15 to 8:00 range and worked in most of my MP or tempo runs through racing.  I did set a PR in the 5k (17:52) and 10k (36:42) and was very disciplined in getting my Tuesday morning progression/interval run in.  I would get up at 4:45 and 10 to 12 miles starting out easy and finishing in the 6:00 to 6:20 range.  I did have a disappointing half marathon at New Prague in a fierce wind finishing in 1:26

Running Streak - I have run everyday since December 30th and have averaged 10.6 miles per day over that stretch, and 12.5 per day over the cycle.  Not taking a day off and running 6 miles at a very easy recovery pace has been key.

Health - no injuries or pains to speak of, thank God.  My right heel has been a little sore when I first get up, but is normally fine after 10 or 15 minutes of moving around.

What would I do differently?  Not so sure I will do another 100 mile week.  It took the better part of a week to recover, especially with that 24 miler in there.  90 feels good and I can still function at a relatively high level.  I didn't worry about diet at all this cycle.  I definitely could have fueled my body a lot better, but what can I say, I like my junk food from time to time.  I would have liked a little more sleep, but you can only go to bed so early when it's light out until 9!  Probably could have benefited for an extra race or two.

So, what does all this mean?  What can I say, I'm feeling confident that I will PR for the marathon, as long as the weather is reasonable.  The plan is to go out at a relaxed 6:45 to 6:50 pace through the first third, settling in a 6:40 pace for the second third and hopefully sub 6:40 for the final stretch.  So, a nice 2:56xx would sure look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment